Tuesday 18 May 2010

Beyond the Looking Glass

Yesterday, I took the train to London to attend a photo shoot that is to accompany a forthcoming feature in SHE magazine. I am being featured along with @Baby_Genie, @mummytips and Emily from MyWardrobe.com in an article about the impact online social networking has on women's lives today.

I responded to a request for women who deem themselves spending 'too long' online each day. This immediately struck a chord with me so I whizzed off an email and forgot all about it. To my surprise, I received a call from the journalist a few days later asking for an interview - eek!

The interview left me feeling a little like I was about to invite the women of the UK into my front room every night. By detailing how I spend my evenings networking with friends online, tweeting and reading blogs whilst at the same time eating my dinner, I felt I was divulging a dirty secret of some kind. It took some reflection before I acknowledged that the time I spend online is not only something I enjoy but an investment in my future. More than that, my family's future. I conduct my business online and as such, time needs to be spent building relationships with suppliers, customers and perhaps most importantly, supporters of my vision.

So with the interview in the bag, I arrived at Liverpool Street to be met by my car (no tubing for me today!) which whisked me through the endless streets filled with Pret and Starbucks to Studio 33 behind Carnaby Street. Entering reception via the giant revolving door, it was immediately apparent this was poles apart from my 'real' job of a primary school teacher. Couriers were arriving armed with bags strewn with designers I'd only ever read about and the receptionist was multi-tasking like nobodies business.

Once I arrived on the set, I was introduced to the makeup artist, stylist, photographer and other such titles. I was sifting through rails and rails of beautiful clothes and a pile was thrust into my arms to try on.

I had warned the stylist that trousers/jeans and I are not the best of friends. Imagine my delight when I slipped into an incredible pair of Ted Baker white skinny jeans that instantly fit me? Not only did they fit but they felt amazing and made my legs seem extremely long which is always a good thing in my book. A beautiful silk kimono style blouse by Jaegar later and I was all set for hair and makeup.

Catherine (@Baby_Genie) and I in hair and makeup


Sian (@mummytips) and Catherine having the finishing touches carried out

Now, this is where I should explain... I have big issues with my hair, always have and always will. It's curly you see, and well, it needs a LOT of taming. I was not overly happy with the end result they presented to me in the mirror but since the other three girls were done in the time it had taken to get me to this point, I figured I'd best go with it lest I be forever tweeted as a diva ;)


I felt like I was standing forever up there on the set but I felt great in my outfit and enjoyed every second of the limelight shhh! Being directed

The standing shot


The seated shot

I had great fun yesterday and particularly enjoyed meeting the other girls. You should check them all out on twitter as they're all up to incredible things. If you're keen to see how much of a nerd they make me out to be and what the edited shots look like the feature will be in the July issue of SHE magazine - eeeeek!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, love the last picture, you look fabulous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! How lovely getting to spend the day being dressed in lovely clothes and getting your hair and make up done! (Love the shoes, I wouldn't be able to stand up though!!) I think you look FAB and cannot wait to read the article

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a real pleasure to meet you. I'm following your blog now and I've added you to my blog roll

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the skinny jeans (a dream for me!) and would only be able to do those heels if sitting down. Completely agree that we shouldn't feel guilty about our online networking - with a "real" job, a child (or children) and a million things to do it makes a lot of sense. Look forward to the magazine article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! I've never had so many comments on my blog posts!

    Sian, I've no idea what a blog roll is but sounds great thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow sounds great. Look forward to reading the article.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete